Friday, March 28, 2008

Edward Taylor


Reflection/Chart:

Name and type:
Huswifery; it is a Narrative poem

Mood:
I feel jealous that he has such a good relationship with God

Tone:
he feels love and gratitude towards God

Speaker:
The speaker is man longing for the best relationship with God

Repetition:
She repeats “make me” to show that he longs for god to do his will in his life

Imagery:
good imagry in this poem is “Spoole, Fulling Mills, Colours Choice ” because it shows the different ways he wants to be made by God

Style:
He writes in plain style because he refers to common day items

Rhyme:
Every other line rhymes

In the poem Huswifery Edward Taylor expresses his desire for God’s grace through extended metaphor, repetition, and diction. The poet changes from beginning to end. It is a prayer for grace. Grace transforms poet or oneself from coarse imperfections to shining purity. Transformation of turning fuzzy wool into majestic robes. Religious poetry --> conceit emphasizes the underlying unity among all things in God’s creationTaylor compares granting of grace to housewife making homespun clothes

http://www.puritansermons.com/poetry/taylor.htm

Dear Diary,

I write this diary to you oh lord, for I know that you will hear my prayers. I wrote you this poem to show you, and the world, that you are the first in my life and I want to be like you in all that I do. I want you to love me and sew into me your word so that I may never forget the great love that you have for me. I also want you to use me to help others come to know you lord as I know you. I like many other puritans feel that what ever you decide to accomplish with our lives it will always be the best. One of my dear friends died last week and I was very heartbroken for a little while but then I realized that he is with you in heaven and I should have nothing to be sad about.

Edward Taylor

0 comments: